8 Creative Ways to Use Terra Cotta Planters in Your Home
Terra cotta planters have been used for centuries to grow plants and flowers, and it’s easy to see why they remain a popular choice today. These rustic pots are made from baked clay, which gives them a natural, earthy appearance that complements a wide range of decor styles. They are also durable, heat-resistant, and easy to find, making them an affordable and convenient choice for any gardener.
Terra cotta planters are a classic choice for any garden or outdoor space, but they can also be used in a variety of creative ways throughout the home.
“Terra cotta planters are a natural choice for vertical gardens because they are lightweight and easy to install. Their rustic appearance also adds a charming touch to any space.” – Lisa Mason Ziegler, horticulturist, and author
In addition to their practical qualities, terra cotta planters also add a touch of charm and character to any outdoor space. Whether you’re looking to add some greenery to your patio or just want to find a new use for an old terra cotta pot, there are plenty of creative ways to make these versatile containers work for you.
In this article, we’ll explore eight unique ways to use terra cotta planters in your home, from creating a vertical garden to turning a pot into a mini pizza oven.
1. Create a Vertical Garden
Vertical gardens are a great way to add some greenery to a small space, and terra cotta planters are the perfect choice for this type of project. You can use a series of small pots to create a simple wall-mounted garden, or opt for larger pots and hanging baskets to create a more dramatic effect.
Here are some ways to create a vertical garden with terra cotta planters
- You’ll need to choose a sunny wall or fence that gets at least six hours of direct sunlight each day.
- Next, decide on the plants you want to use – succulents and herbs work well in small pots, while larger pots can accommodate trailing plants like ivy or sweet potato vines.
- Once you have your plants, you can either hang the pots directly on the wall using brackets or screws or use a freestanding trellis or frame to support the pots.
2. Make a Statement with Large Planters
If you want to make a big impact with your terra cotta planters, opt for larger pots that can hold a variety of plants. These pots are perfect for creating a focal point in a garden or patio and can be used to add some height and interest to a dull corner.
“I love using large terra cotta planters to make a statement in my garden,” says garden designer Karen Chapman. “They add a classic, timeless touch to any outdoor space.”
When choosing plants for large terra cotta planters, think about the size and shape of the pot as well as the plants themselves. For example, a tall, narrow pot might be well-suited for a tree or shrub, while a wider, shallower pot could be used for a grouping of annuals or perennials.
3. Transform an Old Pot into a Faux Bois Planter
If you have an old terra cotta pot that’s seen better days, don’t toss it out – turn it into a stylish faux bois planter instead. Faux bois, which means “fake wood” in French, is a decorative technique that involves painting clay pots to look like wood.
“Faux bois planters are a fun and creative way to repurpose old terra cotta pots,” says DIY expert Rachel Metz. “They add a touch of rustic charm to any room and are a great way to bring a natural element indoors.”
Here are some ways to create a faux bois terra cotta planter, you’ll need a clay pot, some exterior-grade paint, and a few basic tools.
- First, clean the pot and let it dry completely.
- Next, use a small paintbrush to apply a base coat of paint to the pot, making sure to cover all areas evenly.
- Once the base coat is dry, use a dry brush technique to add wood grain details to the pot.
- You can create the grain by lightly dragging a stiff-bristled brush over the paint, or by dabbing the brush onto the pot to create knots and imperfect areas. Once you’ve finished painting the pot, let it dry completely before adding plants.
You can use a faux bois planter to hold a variety of plants, from herbs and succulents to annuals and perennials.
4. Use Terra Cotta Pots as Decorative Accents
Terra cotta planters don’t have to be used just for plants – they can also be used as decorative accents in the home. For example, you can fill a small terra cotta pot with seashells or stones and use it as a paperweight on your desk, or group several pots together on a shelf to create a rustic display.
You can also use terra cotta pots to add a touch of whimsy to your decor. For example, you could paint a pot to look like a cute animal or character or use a pot as a base for a DIY candle holder. The possibilities are endless!
“Terra cotta pots are so versatile and can be used in so many different ways,” says interior designer Sarah Richardson. “I love using them to add a natural, rustic touch to a space.”
5. Make a Terra Cotta Planter Water Feature
If you’re looking for a unique way to use terra cotta planters in your garden, consider turning one into a water feature. You can create a simple water fountain by filling a large terra cotta pot with water and adding a small submersible pump. The water will circulate through the pot and spill over the sides, creating a soothing sound and a cool, misty atmosphere.
To make a more elaborate water feature, you can stack several pots on top of each other to create a tiered fountain. You’ll need to drill holes in the bottoms of the pots and connect them with PVC pipe to create the water flow. You can also add decorative elements like rocks or plants around the base of the fountain to create a more natural look.
“Terra cotta planters make great water features because they are porous and allow the water to evaporate naturally,” says landscape designer James Martin. “They also add a warm, rustic touch to any garden.”
6. Create a Terra Cotta Planter Succulent Wall
Succulents are a popular choice for indoor plants because they are easy to care for and add a touch of greenery to any space. If you have a blank wall that needs some life, consider creating a terra cotta planter succulent wall.
“Terra cotta planters are a great choice for a succulent wall because they allow the plants to dry out between watering, which is essential for succulent health,” says horticulturist Katie Dubow.
Here are some ways to create a succulent wall. You’ll need a selection of small terra cotta planters and a variety of succulent plants.
- Choose planters in different sizes and shapes to add visual interest to the wall.
- You can either hang the planters directly on the wall using brackets or screws or use a freestanding frame to support the pots.
- Once you have your planters in place, fill them with a well-draining soil mix and add your succulents.
- Water the plants regularly and give them plenty of sunlight to thrive.
7. Turn a Terra Cotta Pot into a Pizza Oven
If you love the idea of cooking pizzas in a wood-fired oven but don’t have the space or budget for a full-size oven, consider turning a terra cotta pot into a mini pizza oven.
“Terra cotta pots make great mini pizza ovens because they are durable, heat-resistant, and easy to customize,” says chef and wood-fired oven enthusiast Tom Mylan. “They’re also a lot of fun to use and add a rustic touch to any backyard barbecue.”
All you’ll need is a large terra cotta pot, some fire bricks, and a few basic tools.
- To create the oven, start by turning the pot upside down and removing the bottom.
- Next, build a small fire pit inside the pot using fire bricks. You can either use a circular pattern for a traditional wood-fired oven look, or a rectangular pattern for a more modern design.
- Once your fire pit is in place, add a layer of insulation to the sides of the pot using a fire-resistant material like vermiculite or perlite. This will help to keep the heat in and create a more efficient cooking environment.
- Finally, attach a metal grate to the top of the pot using screws or bolts. This will be your cooking surface. You can either use the pot as a stand-alone oven or mount it on a cart or stand for easier use.
8. Create a Terra Cotta Planter Herb Garden
Herb gardens are a great way to add some fresh, homegrown flavor to your meals, and terra cotta planters are the perfect choice for growing herbs indoors. You can create a simple herb garden by filling a large terra cotta planter with a well-draining soil mix and adding a selection of herb plants. Some good choices for indoor herb gardens include basil, parsley, cilantro, and rosemary.
“Terra cotta planters are a great choice for indoor herb gardens because they allow the plants to drain properly and provide good air circulation,” says herbalist and garden writer Susan Belsinger. “They also add a natural touch to the kitchen.”
To create a more attractive herb garden, you can use a selection of small terra cotta pots in different sizes and shapes. Plant each herb in its own pot, and arrange the pots on a windowsill or tabletop for easy access. You can also add labels or markers to the pots to help you keep track of which herb is which.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use terra cotta planters to grow vegetables in my garden?
Terra cotta planters are a great choice for growing vegetables because they provide good drainage and allow the soil to warm up quickly in the sun. Just make sure to choose pots that are large enough to accommodate the root systems of your vegetable plants.
You can use a variety of pots to create a container vegetable garden or use a single large pot to grow a single type of vegetable. Be sure to water your plants regularly. Fertilize them as needed to ensure healthy growth.
- What are some creative ways to use small terra cotta pots in the home?
“Small terra cotta pots are great for adding a touch of whimsy to your home decor. You can use them to hold succulent plants, create a mini herb garden, or use them as candle holders. You can also paint the pots to match your decor or add decorative elements like stickers or decals. The possibilities are endless – just use your imagination and have fun with it!” – Rachel Metz, DIY expert
- How can I create a rustic outdoor fireplace using a large terra cotta pot?
To create a rustic outdoor fireplace using a large terra cotta pot, you’ll need a pot that is large enough to hold a fire and some fire-resistant materials. First, fill the bottom of the pot with a layer of sand or gravel to help drain excess water and create a stable base.
Add a layer of fire bricks to the pot to create a platform for your fire. Finally, place some firewood or charcoal on the bricks and light the fire. You can use the pot as a standalone fireplace, or place it on a stand or cart for easier use.
- Can I use terra cotta planters to grow plants in a small space, like an apartment balcony?
Terra cotta planters are a great choice for growing plants in small spaces like apartment balconies because they are lightweight and easy to move around. You can use small pots to create a mini herb garden or a collection of succulent plants, or use a larger pot to grow a small vegetable garden.
Just make sure to choose pots that are appropriate for the size of your space and the plants you want to grow, and remember to water and fertilize your plants regularly to promote healthy growth.
- How do I care for terra cotta planters to ensure that they last a long time?
To care for terra cotta planters and ensure that they last a long time, it’s important to keep them clean and dry. If your pots are used outdoors, be sure to bring them inside or cover them during extreme weather conditions to prevent cracking.
You should also avoid using harsh chemicals to clean your pots, as these can damage the clay. Instead, use a gentle soap and water solution or a mixture of vinegar and water to clean the pots. Be sure to regularly check your pots for cracks or chips, and repair or replace them as needed.
In conclusion, terra cotta planters are a versatile, affordable, and stylish choice for any home or garden. Whether you’re looking to add some greenery to your living space or just want to find a new use for an old pot, there are plenty of creative ways to use these rustic containers. From vertical gardens and large statement planters to decorative accents and water features, terra cotta planters offer endless possibilities for adding charm and character to your home.
No matter which method you choose, terra cotta planters are sure to add some charm and character to your home. So why wait? Start experimenting with these creative ideas today and add some rustic charm to your home.
About Michelle Wilde
Michelle Wilde is a stay-at-home mom and avid plant lover. Armed with a post-graduate degree in Computer Science (no kidding!), she loves researching plants and landscapes. When she is not caring for her 4 kids, she spends time on her passion for plants. She blogs at www.indoorplantschannel.com, the trusted source for indoor plants.
* You will receive the latest posts and updates about indoor plants!
- FAQ (218)
- General (1)
- How-To Guides (220)
- Indoor Plants (220)
Leave a Reply